Balance

January 17, 2013
I've really put a lot of things on the back burner this month, including blogging. I needed some time to recharge and get well. Just as soon as started to get over my bout with bronchitis, I came down with a cold. It was a miserable three weeks. Wah, wah, wah...I know. I get tired of hearing people complain all the time too, but I promise that it's leading to a point...

These illnesses did get me realize that there is one thing that I am lacking in my life, and it is balance. This "fly by the seat of my pants" attitude and "I can sleep when I'm dead" mentality, really has taken its toll on me physically (mentally, I still want to do it all:/).

Chris made the a comment that I seemed to be doing a lot more since starting the blog. He may be right, however, I think that it's a lot more than that. Since starting the blog, our family has undergone some major changes. We have Chris back on nights and weekends, so we've been making up for a lot of lost time. And because we have Chris back on weekends, we've started attending church, which has brought with it, more activities with the church and church friends. Also, I've always enjoyed doing a little something special, like a breakfast or an outing to celebrate an event or holiday. Evan enjoys our special time, while Chloe thrives on it. And I'll admit it, some of it is Mommy guilt, guilt in the fact that I work an eight to five and that I want the time that we do spend together to be special, even if it means running errands on my lunch "break?" and staying up late/waking up early to do my normal household activities/chores.

Although I do thoroughly enjoy being on-the-go and ignoring any of my body's signals that I need to slow down, something has got to give if I want to be healthy. I need to start balancing family time with me time. After all, I want to be around to keep enjoying my family.

So here it is...I'm waiting until I'm back at 100%, but I've decided that I'm going to make an effort to work exercise back into my weekly schedule! I'm going to start counting points again (you Weight Watchers people know what I'm talking about)! I'm going to eat healthier! I'm going to say "no" more often! And most of all, I'm going to take a day of REST every week! These can be classified as resolutions, but for me, it's a reassessment of  my priorities (only a year ago, the things that I listed were actual priorities for me).

It's funny because in the midst of all these thoughts about what I needed to do to lead a more balanced lifestyle, our Pastor gave a sermon that really spoke to me about what God wanted in my life. I need to rest and enjoy the Sabbath! After all, it is a Commandment, and holds just as much importance as any of the other nine in His eyes.

I've noticed that on other blogs that people have come up with mottos or a word for 2013. My word for 2013 is BALANCE!

No comments